Simple Bagel Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Poppy seeds, sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt until combined.
- Add warm water, vegetable oil, and honey (if using) to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rest for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add baking soda.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each piece into a ball. Flatten each ball slightly and poke a hole in the center using your finger. Stretch the hole to make it about 1-2 inches wide.
- Place the bagels into the boiling water, 2-3 at a time, and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the bagels from the water with a slotted spoon and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bagels.
- Sprinkle the bagels with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or everything bagel seasoning, if desired.
- Bake the bagels for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy your homemade eggless bagels!