1 package of phyllo dough (16 oz.)
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (such as walnuts, pistachios, or a combination of both)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped nuts, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch baking dish with melted butter.
- Unroll the phyllo dough and cut it to fit the size of your baking dish. Cover the phyllo dough with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out while you work.
- Place two sheets of phyllo dough in the bottom of the baking dish, and brush them with melted butter.
- Add two more sheets of phyllo dough, and brush them with melted butter.
Repeat until you have used half of the phyllo dough.
- Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the phyllo dough.
- Layer the remaining phyllo dough sheets on top of the nut mixture, brushing each one with melted butter as before.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the baklava into diamond-shaped pieces.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the baklava is baking, make the syrup by combining the water, honey, and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour the hot syrup over the top. Let it cool completely befor Serving. Enjoy your homemade Baklava!