- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gradually stir in the boiling water, mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost and decorate as desired. Enjoy!
Optional frosting recipe:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, mixing until well combined.
- Pour in the milk and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Frost the cake as desired.